As race day draws closer and excitement begins to build, we wanted to help you get familiar with a marathon and everything we think might pop into your head during the weekend. So we listed 26.2 (fittingly) possible thoughts:
THE DAY BEFORE
1. Wow, this is genuinely happening – tomorrow, I’ll be running an actual marathon
2. On that note, give me those carbs.
3. I’m tired, I’ve trained hard – why can’t I sleep?!
RACE DAY MORNING
4. So, I’m going for a 26.2 mile run today – that’s pretty awesome.
5. The ABP Newport Wales Marathon really did sell out, there’s a lot of people here on the riverfront!
6. By the end of today, I’ll be a successful marathon runner.
7. Perfect – there’s plenty of pubs around. Noted.
FIRST 5 MILES
8. Here goes, after all this time, we’re finally underway!
9. This is why I trained – I feel so good. What an atmosphere.
10. 5 miles down, I’m almost a fifth of the way!
11. I wonder if I can keep up with the elites? No, wait… come back!
12. Nice, there’s plenty of water, energy drinks and gels – do I need them?!
13. Ok, I can feel it in my legs now…
14. Do I need a wee at this point? I don’t even know.
15. MY MILES ARE IN DOUBLE FIGURES!
16. Wonder when the ‘wall’ will start to kick in?
17. NO – stop thinking so negatively!
18. “KEEP IT UP STEVE” – Wait, that’s me? What? Who are you? Thanks!
19. 20 MILES – I did that in my training, now what?!
20 MILES – FINISH
20. Wait, I’ve got to do another 6.2 miles like this?
21. Are my legs attached to my body anymore? Why can’t I feel them?
22. The crowds are cheering me on – I might actually do this!
23. ”Humpty Dumpty had wall issues too” on a sign. Do you know what? Yes he did – who am I to complain?
ONCE IT’S OVER
24. It’s done. All that training, all those hours – for this moment of marathon glory and pain.
25. Now, how do I walk anywhere?
26. Must. Get. My. Shoes. Off.
26.2. Pass me that drink. I deserve it!