We have been closely monitoring the situation surrounding the COVID-19 (novel coronavirus) outbreak, aligning our response to the government action plan, whilst making preparations for the likely next steps. This has been done to ensure the safety of those taking part in any upcoming Run 4 Wales events.
Whilst to-date the UK Government has advised that sporting events should take place as normal, we are also aware that the Government is considering banning major public events.
Following similar decisions from the Premier League, the Six Nations and the London Marathon, we have decided that it is in the best interest of runners, spectators, volunteers and event staff to postpone the ABP Newport Wales Marathon & 10K, which was due to be held on 19th April, in an effort to help control the spread of the virus.
Run 4 Wales has been working with Newport City Council to secure an alternative date for the delayed event which will now take place on a rescheduled date of October 25th.
We have also been working with Cardiff City Council to secure alternative dates for the Brecon Carreg Cardiff Bay Run, due to be held on 29th March. These are June 21st in the first instance, or November 15th in the likely scenario that events will need to be delayed further.
UPDATE: The Brecon Carreg Cardiff Bay Run has now been confirmed as Sunday 15th November.
We know that many of you will have been training hard for a long time, but your health, and that of our spectators, volunteers, event staff and the wider population is our main priority at this time. We understand and share your disappointment with this outcome, but have been working on a number of contingency plans and options for runners who are affected:
1) Those affected will be offered a free transfer to the re-scheduled event. Your entry will be transferred automatically so you do not need to re-register. We will keep you updated with details on the re-scheduled event. Marathon runners will have the opportunity to drop down to the 10K should they not wish to train for the marathon distance again later this year.
2) Our official transfer service will be re-opened, allowing those unable to attend the re-scheduled date the opportunity to transfer their space to another runner. We will waive the usual £5.80 transfer fee. Please note that for insurance and medical purposes, all transfers must be conducted through the official online transfer service.
3) Those runners who are unable to attend the re-scheduled event or to transfer their space will have the opportunity to participate in the Newport Wales Marathon or 10K virtually. This means that if runners can provide evidence of covering the race distance (using an app such as Strava, a GPS tracker or a picture of gym equipment) we will send them a finishers medal and t-shirt in the post. We will cover the postage costs.
Our thoughts remain with those directly affected by COVID-19 and the family and friends of those who have sadly passed away.
With Best Wishes,
The Run 4 Wales Team
- How do I secure my entry in the re-scheduled event?
You do not need to do anything; your entry will be automatically transferred. We will keep you updated as the delayed event draws closer with all the important event day instructions and information. If you are a marathon runner wishing to drop down to the 10K, please be patient whilst we make arrangements for this. We will contact runners as soon as this option is available.
- Will entries in the family race also be transferred?
Yes, and you don’t need to do anything. It will be automatically transferred!
- I entered the marathon, but dropped down to the 10K earlier this year when training did not go back to plan. Can I do the marathon in October instead?
If you dropped down to the 10K earlier this year and would like to move back up to the marathon this option will also be available. We will contact runners soon with details on transferring. Please note, we will be unable to then drop you back down to the 10K again closer to October so please only request this when you have made your final decision.
- How do I transfer my entry to another runner if I am unable to attend the re-scheduled event?
This will be conducted through our online entry system, ACTIVE. Here you may generate a transfer link that you can share with another runner. The new runner will register for the race, paying full price for their entry. Once the registration is complete you will receive a refund. We will notify all runners when the transfer function is available.
- Can I have a refund on my race entry instead?
Sadly, we are not in a position to offer refunds. Run 4 Wales is offering a number of reasonable alternative options to runners, based around the postponement of events.
With the late postponement of our Spring events, the costs of event delivery cannot be recovered, which means that Run 4 Wales is unable to offer participants refunds.
N.B. Run 4 Wales is a not-for-profit social enterprise; any financial surpluses are used to support a number of grassroots athletics and community projects through the R4W Charitable Foundation.
The impact of Coronavirus is not covered by our event cancellation insurance. Our terms and conditions clearly state that runners will not be entitled to a refund if an event is cancelled because of a circumstance beyond the reasonable control of the organisers. If any events are cancelled, it is with regret that we will have to uphold this condition despite efforts to protect our runners with an event cancellation insurance policy.
- I can’t make the new date, can’t I just have a free entry into the 2021 event instead?
In the same way that we are not in the position to offer refunds (our position on refunds is outlined in the previous question) we are also unable to defer runners, free of charge to the 2021 event. The 2020 event will still go ahead at a later date, and the costs of delivering it have still been incurred – on top of the day to day running costs of the organisation.
If the vast majority of the field decided to defer, the organiser would not be in a position to absorb the already incurred 2020 event delivery costs so policies this like are put in place to ensure the viability of such events and organisations. This is a standard practice in the industry.
We appreciate that this will be frustrating to some runners, but this policy is outlined clearly in our terms and conditions which you must sign upon registering. We are confident that the options we have made available will suit the vast majority of entrants and thank everyone for their understanding in these difficult, and unprecedented times.
- I want to take up the virtual race option, how does it work?
We will email all participants with details as soon as possible.
- Will other Run 4 Wales events taking place later this year still go ahead?
The Healthspan Porthcawl 10K, ABP Barry Island 10K, Dell Technologies Management Challenge and Cardiff University Cardiff Half Marathon are still scheduled to take place later this year, and every effort is being made to ensure the safety of participants. We will continue to monitor the situation and update entrants if there are any changes.
- What happens to any additional purchases I made with my race entry?
If you have booked a car parking space, iTab medal insert or any race merchandise these will be transferred to the re-scheduled event automatically.